Randy Z’s Roasted Fall Vegetables and Squash with a Pumpkin Seed Vinaigrette
- 3 medium tri color carrots, peeled and halved into 2 inch pieces
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled cut in quarters woddy core removed and cut into 2 Inch pieces
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut into 2 inch sticks
- 1 celery root peeled and cut into 2 inch sticks
- 2 pounds of fingerling potatoes washed
- 1 head of garlic separated into cloves and peeled
- 1 medium butternut squash neck removed, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 6 ounces of pearl onions peeled *see tip on peeling
- 1 pound of multi-color mini pepper, washed
- 1 acorn squash seeded and cut into 1/2in thick quarter moons
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- ½ ounce pickling spice, ground medium
- 3 ounces of virgin pumpkin seed oil
- 1 ounce of apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 deg.
- Place everything in a large bowl and toss with butter.
- Sprinkle in spice and toss to coat, remove from bowl and layout on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (you will thank me later for the paper when it comes time for clean-up).
- If needed add more spice and bake in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes until roasted but still firm.
- While roasting, portion out your products to make your vinaigrette
- Just before serving place the oil and vinegar in a bowl and whisk until emulsified or place in a squeeze bottle and shake. Note: if you do this to far ahead of time it could separate, no problem with that you would just need to emulsify again.
- Remove vegetable and squash from oven toss to coat with any pan juices, plate and serve with vinaigrette on the side.
*TIP – If you drop the pearl onions in boiling water for 1 minute then transfer to a ice bath you can squeeze the outer peel off with ease.